top of page
  • Blockage Inspectors

Will the Council Unblock My Drain? A Comprehensive Guide by Blockage Inspectors In Haringey

If you're a resident of Haringey, you've probably encountered drainage issues at some point. Blocked drains can be a real nuisance, causing unpleasant odors, water damage, and inconvenience. In such situations, many homeowners wonder, "Will the council unblock my drain?" In this comprehensive guide, we, Blockage Inspectors, will provide you with all the information you need to understand how the council deals with drainage problems in Haringey.

Haringey flooded street
Blocked drains in Haringey? Call our Haringey drainage service for expert tips or help 24/7

The Haringey Council's Responsibility

What Does the Council Handle?

When it comes to drainage and sewer issues, it's essential to understand the division of responsibilities between the council and property owners. The council typically takes care of public drains and sewers, while private drains are the responsibility of the property owner.

Public drains and sewers refer to those that serve multiple properties or are located in public areas such as roads and pavements. The council is responsible for maintaining and unblocking these public drainage systems.

Private Drainage Systems

Private drains, on the other hand, are those that solely serve your property. These include drains within your property boundaries and those connecting your property to the public drainage system. If you encounter a blockage in your private drainage system, it's your responsibility to address it.

Reporting a Drainage Issue to the Council

How to Report a Blocked Drain

If you suspect that a public drain or sewer is blocked and causing issues in your area, it's crucial to report it to the council promptly. To report a blocked drain, follow these steps:

  1. Gather Information: Note the location of the blocked drain, any unusual odors, and the severity of the issue.

  2. Contact the Council: Reach out to the Haringey Council's drainage department. You can find their contact information on the official council website.

  3. Provide Details: When reporting the issue, be as detailed as possible. Include your name, contact information, and a precise description of the problem.

What to Expect

Once you've reported a blocked drain to the council, they will initiate an investigation. This may involve sending a drainage inspector to assess the situation. Depending on the severity and location of the blockage, the council will take appropriate measures to resolve the issue.

Haringey Council's Response Time

One of the common concerns residents have is about the council's response time when it comes to unblocking drains. The response time can vary depending on the workload and the severity of the blockage. However, the council aims to address drainage issues promptly to prevent further inconvenience to residents.

Preventing Drain Blockages

Taking Preventive Measures

While the council is responsible for public drains and sewers, it's essential for property owners to take preventive measures to avoid blockages in their private drainage systems. Here are some tips to prevent drain blockages:

  1. Regular Maintenance: Schedule regular drain inspections and maintenance to catch potential issues early.

  2. Proper Disposal: Dispose of waste properly and avoid flushing items that could clog drains.

  3. Tree Root Control: If you have trees near your property, consider root control measures to prevent root intrusion into your drainage system.

Unblock Your Drains In Haringey With Blockage Inspectors

In conclusion, if you're wondering, "Will the council unblock my drain?" – the answer is yes, but with certain conditions. The council is responsible for public drains and sewers, while private drainage systems are the property owner's responsibility. Reporting a blocked drain to the council is the first step in resolving the issue, and their response time may vary.

To prevent drain blockages in your private drainage system, regular maintenance and following proper disposal practices are crucial. By taking proactive measures, you can minimize the chances of dealing with drain blockages in the future.

For more information, tips or drainage experts in Haringey, Enfield, Barnet, North London or London, contact Blockage Inspectors on 07956 645152 or We

19 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All






70 Bounces Rd, Enfield N9 8JS

Friday Open 24 hours
Saturday Open 24 hours
Sunday Open 24 hours
Monday Open 24 hours
Tuesday Open 24 hours
Wednesday Open 24 hours
Thursday Open 24 hours

bottom of page